Behind the Blooms
Monday, March 2, 2009



So I'm in Washington DC these last few days with the Society of American Florists. I'm part of a group of retail florists, wholesale florists and growers. Really amazing people, leaders in our industry. We're talking about the major issues of the floral world and what we can do about it. On Tuesday March 3 we'll take our issues to Capitol Hill and meet with our respective state representatives. I'll be with Jim Daly, Vice President of Floral Life/Smithers Oasis. Jim is a scientist/business man with a great personality, kind of like our own Indiana Jones. We'll be meeting with South Carolina Senators Jim DeMint and Lindsey Graham, and Congressmen Henry Brown and James Clyburn. Graham is all over the news everyday on the national level, and Clyburn is the majority whip, most powerful position in Congress....YIKES!


Anyway, I'm walking around the corner and look who I bump into! This town is President Obama crazy, but he was gracious enough to spend a few minutes with me. He asked me a lot of questions about what he should do regarding the economy, military, healthcare and more. It was flattering that he asked for my advice and I gave it to him no holds barred. I'm sure things will start getting better any day now. Honestly, though, I found President Obama to be a little stiff and one-dimensional...maybe he was just nervous meeting a real floral shop owner.


Hope to post another blog from "The Hill".

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:
Blogger chucker said...
Pretty sure that's out in front of the same store where I met Hilary last year when I was in the Capital.

She didn't have much to say. (smile)