Behind the Blooms
Thursday, March 5, 2009





















The Society of American Florists (SAF) had their annual Congressional Action Days event on Tuesday. SAF provides the opportunity to it's members to travel to Washington DC and speak to their respective politicians with one voice regarding floral industry concerns. SAF sets up the appointments, educates us on our issues, and coordinates the entire process.



Now I'm not "Mr. Politics". I watch and read the news, have my opinions, but the political process is too slow and complicated for my ADD nature. Still, I gave it a shot last year at the urging of SAF, and it was awesome. I learned a ton about the political process, our industry and how the two relate.



I traveled with another SC floral professional, Jim Daly who is the vice president of FloralLife out of Walterboro. FloralLife is the flower food used all over the world. Jim invented it, and is a key player in the worldwide flower industry. Together we met with the staff of SC Senators Lindsay Graham and Jim DeMint. We also met with the staff of Congressman Jim Clyburn the Majority Whip of the House. The highlight though was when we met Congressman Henry Brown.



I first met Mr. Brown last year when he came to the SAF reception after our appointment with his staff. He made a special stop just to introduce himself to me and hear my concerns. Wow! That's an elected official doing the work!



This year he had about 15 people in his waiting room, but when Jim and I walked in for our appointment he ushered us right into his office, closed the door and gave us his undivided attention. We discussed our issues; Immigration Reform, Floriculture Research Funding, the Estate Tax Repeal, and The Employee Free Choice Act. He is knowledgeable and passionate about each of the issues and already strongly representing us. I already knew that and just wanted to thank him for his support. Then he asked if we had the time to accompany him to the House Floor for a vote on a bill he co-sponsored. The House Floor...ground zero of American Government. Heck Yeah!



So Jim and I tried hard to keep with Mr. Brown as we hustled down elevators, past security check points, and through basement service halls. I was lost and disoriented in 30 seconds, but we kept walking for at least 5 minutes. Thinking about it now, I realize that we travelled from the basement of the Cannon Senate Building, under the street, under the sidewalk and greens area until we reached the basement of the Capitol Building. Real secret passage kind of stuff. Then we took the elevator up to the House Floor, Mr Brown ducked in and voted, then he took us up to the Gallery to check out the action. We all sat together with just a couple other people up there, talking about the process and the issues with Mr. Brown. On the floor we could see all the politicians that are on the news shows every evening. Exactly one week earlier President Obama gave his Presidential address in the same room. I remembered him signing all those autographs on the way out, Congressman Brown said he had one. We were in the room that is the cornerstone of world politics. Awesome.



We continued to pick Mr. Brown's brain about things. Again, he was knowledgeable and passionate about everything. With all the craziness in the world, the economy and our government, I can't tell you how inspiring Congressman's Brown's meeting was. His nickname is "The Workhorse" and now I know why. His pace and engagement reminded me of all the small business owners I know. We wear many hats and try to get as much done as possible every single day, just like The Workhorse. The fact that he took the time to talk with a flower shop owner about his concerns and was acting on them gave me a lot of confidence for our future. With elected officials like Mr. Brown representing their constituents, we'll get this thing turned around.



Labels: , , , , ,