Behind the Blooms
Wednesday, September 30, 2009



Just returned from the Society Of American Florist' Annual Convention in Phoenix. SAF packed the agenda with a lot of great seminars , but as usual the best part of the show were the attendees.


I left with that familar feeling of depression and inspiration I get when I'm around awesome people. Depression that I'm not doing some of the things they're doing, inspiration because I know we will. We have a great thing going at Tiger Lily, and I realize I'm comparing us with the best florists in the country . I'm not ready to jump off a cliff or anything, but still....I want to get better.


I could go on and on about who I met and what they're doing, but let's just say I have a lot of items on the "to do" list. I am happy to say that those awesome people are focusing on solid business practice like quality and service. We can all get better at those critical items, everyday. Sure, social networking was the topic du jour, and Twitter and Facebook is important. They are not a foundation for a successful business, however, more like crown moulding.


Above is a shot of the New Varieties floral room. There were some killer flowers in that ballroom, and our purchaser DD Parks is already tracking them down. We hope to have them in starting next week.


I also pictured the motorcycle I rented instead of a car. Renting a compact car was almost $600 for three days! The bike was less than half that and ten times the fun. Nothing like cruising through the Arizona desert at 80 mph with the sun setting behind the mountains! I saw two wild mustangs, two jack rabbits and a coyote.


I know some other florists read this blog. I want to HIGHLY recommend going to the SAF Conference next year in Orlando. I've attended five conferences so far, and have even spoken at two of them. I have never met anyone else from Charleston. It really gives a big advantage to see and hear firsthand the latest trends, ideas, flowers and designs. Now more than ever we have to be at our best. I'm excited about 2010, because I know Tiger Lily will be better than ever.


Labels: , , , , , , ,